The Sun City Center New England Club By-Laws
This club will be organized as "The Sun City Center New England Club" and henceforth in these by-laws, will be referred to as the "club".
PURPOSE OF THE CLUB
The purpose of this club is to provide social activities for those with New England interests to meet, gain and renew acquaintances.
1. Membership and participation in the club is open to all in good standing of the Sun City Center Community Association (CA) who have roots or interests in the six New England states: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.
2. The club may be joined by submitting a signed "Official Application for Membership". An Official Application of Membership will be made available to attendees at club social functions and upon request from any club officer or board member.
3. Termination of membership shall be made any time at the request of the member, by the proper application of Article VI of these by-laws or when a member is dropped from the CA Membership Directory.
4. A listing of club members showing Community Association membership numbers shall be delivered to the Community Association each calendar year not later than January 31.
A minimal annual membership fee to offset operating expenses or to fund special programs is due at the start of each calendar year. Changes to this annual membership amount must be approved by a majority vote of the board of directors.
1. The location of meetings and dates thereof shall be established by the officers of the club.
2. The first social function of each new year shall be designated as the official annual meeting.
REMOVAL OF MEMBERS
Any member may be removed from membership in the club for cause which a majority of the club members consider sufficient. The following process must be pursued to accomplish the removal of a member.
A. The club member who recommends the removal of another member must submit the request in writing to the club board of directors.
1. The letter must clearly state the reason(s) for the proposed action.
2. The letter must be signed by the member bringing the action.
3. The letter must be endorsed and signed by at least two (2) other members of the club.
B. A member of the club may be removed from membership for cause by majority vote of the members present at a duly constituted meeting of the club. The member under consideration for removal must be notified of the time, place and purpose of the meeting and must be allowed time to present an appeal to the members present prior to the vote. A removed member of the club may, within 30 days of removal, request an appeal hearing to the club board of directors for reinstatement of membership.
C. After one year from the date of removal, the removed member may apply, by letter, to the club board of directors for reinstatement. If approved by a majority vote of that board, the reinstatement must also be approved by a majority of the members present at a duly constituted meeting of the club. Any reinstatement of this nature shall be as a new member.
TITLES AND DUTIES OF OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
This club shall be governed by a board of thirteen (13) comprised of five (5) elected officers, including a President, Vice President, Membership Secretary, Recording Secretary and Treasurer plus eight (8) directors appointed by the officers.
The President and the majority of the Club Officers and the majority of the Club’s Board must be CA members in good standing of the SCC Community Association.
President – shall preside over meetings and have general supervision over all affairs of the club. In addition this person must have check signature authority in the absence of the Treasurer.
Vice President - shall assist the President in his/her duties and assume duties in the President's absence.
Recording Secretary - shall issue written notices of interest when necessary, shall take minutes of meetings and record decisions related to the club and be responsible for general correspondence.
Membership Secretary - shall keep database and e-mail listings of all club members; shall also oversee or assist in e-mail correspondence concerning club activities.
Treasurer - shall have custody of all funds of the club, have check signature authority to issue disbursements as authorized by the officers and reconcile monthly bank statements. Accurate records of income, disbursements, liabilities and balances must be maintained. A written presentation of income and disbursements (Financial Statement) must be prepared and provided to the board of directors periodically throughout the year.
Directors – These eight (8) persons shall have the authority to manage the affairs of the club, including managing club events.
Quorum requirements for board of directors meetings shall be seven (7) of the named board members.
2. Quorum requirements for special meetings shall be 25 members.
1. The President shall name a nominating committee consisting of no less than three people a minimum of 45 days prior to the annual meeting for the purpose of developing a slate of officers to be presented to the membership at that meeting.
2. Nominations for all positions shall be accepted from the floor at the annual meeting.
3. Election of officers shall be by majority vote of members present at the annual meeting.
4. Officers shall be elected for one year term of office, with no term limits.
PROCEDURE FOR AMENDING BY-LAWS
1. By-laws may be amended only at a special meeting called for that purpose. A special meeting for the purpose of amending by-laws may be called at any time by the President or by a petition in writing to the board of directors by ten or more members in good standing with the club.
2. Such special meetings shall be held within ninety (90) days of the board receiving such petition.
3. Notice of all special meetings shall be sent via e-mail to all members with an active e-mail address on file with the membership secretary, at least thirty (30) days prior to the date for the meeting.
4. Approval of proposed by-law amendments requires a two-thirds majority of the members present at the meeting.
5. By-laws must be submitted to the Community Association Club Liaison Director.
DISSOLUTION OF THE CLUB
At any time there are less than 11 members, all remaining assets will be donated to a 501 (c) 3 charity.
Dated February 8, 2018
Voted in by the membership on February 8, 2018
Reviewed by Helen Lewis, Director Community Association Club Liaison February 20, 2018
Signed by Richard Young, President February 21, 2018
Dated June 21, 2021
Addendum to Article VII at the request of Larry Smith, Director Community Association Club Liaison. Signed acknowledgement by the 13 officers and directors .